This church confesses the Triune God - Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
This church confesses Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and the Gospel as the power of God for salvation of all who believe.
This church is dedicated to the belief that the Bible, the canonical Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, is the inspired Word of God and the guide and norm of its proclamation, faith and life.
This church accepts the Unaltered Augsburg Confession as true witness to the Gospel. Acknowledging as one with it, in faith and doctrine, all churches that likewise accept the teaching of the Unaltered Augsburg Confession.
This church accepts other confessional writings in the Book of Concord.
This church confesses the Gospel, recorded in the Holy Scriptures and confessed in the ecumenical creeds and Lutheran confessional writings, as the power of God to create and sustain the church for God's mission in the world.
We believe and confess that marriage of male and female is an institution created and blessed by God. From marriage, God forms families to serve as the building blocks of all human civilization and community.
About us Short History
In its early history, Hocking County had three Lutheran churches - St. Peter, St. John and St. Matthew.
St. Peter Lutheran Church was in Ewing, south of Logan, on State Route 93. It started sometime in 1838. St. John dated back to April 11, 1842. St. Matthew formed about 1852. The same pastor served all three congregations. St. Peter held its last services in 1926. St. John and St. Matthew shared a pastor until 1963.
St. Peter Lutheran Church was razed after April 24, 1934. It was last used for the funeral of Mrs. Henry Rheinscheld.
St. Matthew first held services in the community center, at the corner of Walnut and Hunter Streets. The jail was next door. At that time, when sermons were to be long, benches were made of split logs with peg legs....too uncomfortable to sleep during a sermon.
German and English services were conducted alternately each Sunday morning and evening The choir was required to have two anthems for each service. This required two or three rehearsals a week.
A red brick church was built, dedicated on January 31, 1856. Our current corner lot, at Orchard and Hunter Streets, was bought for $600.00.